HOPE FOR THE US
In the face of pessimistic predictions, even to the point of civil war, there are progressive mobilizations in the United States.
Unionization . The public approval rating for unions has climbed to nearly its highest level in fifty years. There has also been a surge of unionization among adjunct professors, grad students, digital and print journalists, museum workers, nurses, cannabis store workers, and nonprofit employees.
Colleges and Universities .. Search for Common Ground has partnered with Soliya and Tiger 21 to implement an orientation program for first-year students that will facilitate intra-campus dialogue and build trust, respect, and constructive coexistence across differences.
Black Lives Matter .. The movement continues to mobilize, most recently in professional sports. Players of the Women’s National Basketball Association are wearing t-shirts to support a progressive Congressional candidate opposing a team owner who opposes racial equality.
Youth climate activists .. A teen-age activist from the US has launched an international nonprofit organization, Climate Cardinals with over 5,000 volunteers translating climate information into more than 100 languages and dialects. The average age of the volunteers is 16!
International Day of Peace .. Campaign Nonviolence has already listed over 3500 actions planned for the national week of actions the third week of September around the International Day of Peace – "to take to the streets against violence and injustice, and to carry on Dr. King’s vision of what we could become—a new culture of nonviolence"
Peace movement .. The United National AntiWar Coalition, which unites a broad specturm of American peace organizations, has issued a "Call to Action":
- Demanding justice and accountability against racist killer cops!
- For economic justice in response to the economic collapse.
- In defense of migrants rounded up and deported!
- In solidarity with LGBTQ+ and disabled people
- Against endless wars, sanctions and occupations
Peace on the ballot .. New Haveners will vote on a referendum, proposed by the city’s peace commission and unanimously endorsed by the city’s Board of Alders on the following question: "Shall Congress prepare for health and climate crises by transferring funds from the military budget to cities for human needs, jobs and an environmentally sustainable economy ?"
Progressive political agenda .: Addressing the Democratic National Convention, Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez called for a mass people’s movement working to establish
- 21st century social, economic, and human rights, including guaranteed health care, higher education, living wages, and labor rights for all people in the United States;
- a movement striving to recognize and repair the wounds of racial injustice, colonization, misogyny, and homophobia, and to propose and build reimagined systems of immigration
- and foreign policy that turn away from the violence and xenophobia of our past;
- a movement that realizes the unsustainable brutality of an economy that rewards explosive inequalities of wealth for the few at the expense of long-term stability for the many."
Hopefully, in future editions of the bulletin, we will be able to report that these progressive mobilizations in the United States are able to provide a "soft landing" for the crash of the American empire.
Plan for Campaign Nonviolence Action Week, September 19-27, 2020
|FREE FLOW OF INFORMATION
USA: Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s remarks to the 2020 Democratic National Convention
First Person: Turning ‘apathetic people into climate activists’; a young person’s view
Colombia: Details of the Non-Violence Secretariat to be created by the Mayor’s Office of Medellín
|EDUCATION FOR PEACE
For colleges in the United States: First Year Connect
International Alert Programme on Women, Peace and Security in Nigeria
|TOLERANCE & SOLIDARITY||DISARMAMENT & SECURITY
US: The United National AntiWar Coalition – Call to Action